TREND is a Network of Excellence on energy-efficient networking, coordinated by Politecnico di Torino, funded by the European Commission within the Seventh Framework Programme.
TREND addresses and looks for answers to important questions, such as: Is the current growth of telecom infrastructures sustainable? Is high bandwidth access to all in metropolitan areas sustainable? Which technologies are more energy-friendly? Is the Internet protocol suite wasting energy? How to incentivate new energy-aware attitudes?
TREND implements research activities aiming at:
- Collecting power consumption data
- Assessing the energy-saving potential of technologies, protocols and architectures
- Identifying architectural solutions
- Defining network design criteria
- Experimenting new approaches
TREND is a distributed center of excellence involving:
- Research centers EU
- non-EU collaborating institutions